November 19, 2012

so the dust settles.

The year is coming into a close and for now, it looks like the dust has settled. 
I’m sorting through salt and letters, trying to wipe away the grime that has collected in the floorboards. Clearing the surfaces and looking under all the cracks to make sure we can see the sheepskin skies in them. 
I have been leaving my hands open so I can catch the loose particles before they fall. We are rebuilding the bridges we burned and I am burning bridges with all the shadows casting sighs and shaking whispers. 
I’m tried of looking for a new position when I sleep, and like the dust, I’m going to try and settle into sheets the only way I know how—with a crooked spine. 
I am humming songs of optimism and slipping sunrises beneath my shoes. 
This morning I woke up feeling like my dream was next to me, on my pillow. Cheeks wet and the taste of burnt coffee on my tongue. It was so good to have you breathe in that light again. 
I’m happy for this new beginning, even if it is all made up of the pieces we thought we lost and only misplaced. But you know some things can’t just be wiped away and I hope you’re here to stay. 
(I do, I really do).

No comments:

Post a Comment